Review: Counterpunch


Counterpunch
Counterpunch by Aleksandr Voinov

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I'm not sure what my problem was in avoiding this book. I think my friends needed to kick my derriere a bit harder so I would have read this earlier. I resisted and I loathe to admit this, but I think it was because I didn't like the cover. Shallow, non?

I adored this book. It was very very good. It's a 4.5 star for me. The reason why it isn't 5 is because I probably won't be reading it again. I try to reserve books that I love and will read over and over again as 5 stars. Still, I will be recommending this book to many.

Brooklyn's situation is just all f-ed up. When the situation comes out as to why he's a slave, I'm just pissed. Really pissed. It's terrible. It's like Nicholas Cage in Con-air situation but even worse. Back to the story...I love pugilism so this story's theme suited just fine for me. I loved that this story took place in the UK. (As a side note, I think I'm so used to British "proper" English that I didn't even realise it was British English being used. I did find the Author's note about a reviewer all up in arms about the improper spelling to be amusing. Obviously that person hasn't traveled outside of the States were a good portion of the world uses British English rather than American English.)

I enjoyed how Mr. Voinov built upon this Slave world and gave us more insight to how it worked. The character development of Brooklyn, Nathaniel, Les and the "guards" was great. I could really see each of these characters in my mind. I wanted to shove the bloody shock stick (can't remember the name) up Curtis's friggin' arse. I was violently aggravated with that small dicked bully. Bloody wanker.

Les' attitude disappointed me. He's a rat bastard who should be shot. That's all I have to say. Well, okay, shove the pistol up his arse then pull the trigger. It's frustrating how people treat slaves. Human decency evaporates like water in a desert.

The BDSM scenes in this story was fun. It wasn't intense at all and I have to say, it caught me off guard and I enjoyed it. I don't categorize this story BDSM because of the slavery. I categorize BDSM because of the smexy scenes between Nathaniel and Brooklyn. HOT! I wish I was there to watch in person. I highly recommend this story to m/m lovers who want a good meaty story with plot, sorrow, debates on humanity and great sex scenes.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts