Review: Angel Town


Angel Town
Angel Town by Lilith Saintcrow

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



      Is anyone else feeling like this is the last season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer here? Jill wakes up in a grave after a huge sacrifice and doesn't know what is going on? It kind of felt like that to me. I have to say, I had to read through my review of book 5 and I honestly don't remember a damn thing. I can't even remember the review I wrote. How odd is this? I think it has something to do with the way Ms. Saintcrow writes - all f-ed up.

     At times it is hard to follow the storyline because I have no idea what is going on. I think this is a series better suited to be read one right after another. Or it's for people who don't read many books. While I remember the characters and specifically Jill, some of the events don't seem to ring a bell. There always seems to be so many questions left unanswered in these books. Kind of frustrating.

     This book really felt more like a TV episode where we're trying to get through to Perry's end game. I have to commend Ms. Saintcrow's descriptions and fast pace in the book. She really makes it all come alive. I can see this as a gritty movie. She's great with the smells too. Her descriptions in the smell, sound and sight are pretty amazing. Specifically crawling out of the grave with bugs all over her and inside of her, yuck. I'd have been screaming bloody murder as wasps, maggots and other unmentionable insects were spat out of my mouth. Just gross!

     This story was a fitting conclusion to the Jill Kismet series. It took me a bit to figure out what Jill did at the end. It wasn't clear to me I guess because Ms. Saintcrow likes to show so much that at times, it's easier if she just told me. Is Perry dead or is he not? This is recommended for urban fantasy readers who want a kick ass female heroine who also is woman friendly. Yes, Jill has female friends who are powerful too and they don't talk about men when they are together. Instead, they talk about how to save the world.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts