Review: The Iron Wyrm Affair


The Iron Wyrm Affair
The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Steampunk, dragons, conspiracies galore! If there is one author I can depend on for amazingly well crafted world building, it would be Ms. Saintcrow. She impresses me again with this Steampunk work.

The words she uses here require quite a bit of contextual learning. I felt my brain chugging along trying to relate new terms and figure out their meanings. The complexity she adds with three different forces trying to overthrow the Empire is quite ambitious. Two of them were very clear and well built. One of them I thought was a bit weaker and felt a bit glossed over. Still, Ms. Saintcrow brought it all together.

The addition of Steampunk kicks it up a notch. Ms. Saintcrow does an excellent job of integrating Steampunk through out the entire book. The machines, way of life, is completely immersed in Steam and Sorcery. It's fabulous. The blending of magic with Steampunk is mind blowing. The three types of magic are just touched upon. I want to learn more about it. We learn about those in the dark discipline. Prima Emma's power is astounding. When she lets loose her power, it's invigorating. Her death hunt is gloriously. Death obeys her.

These characters are fascinating for me. It's like a Sherlock Holmes with Dr. Watson. Except, the traits of Sherlock and Watson are mixed and divided across Emma and Clare in an unexpected manner. I really liked both characters. Emma is so reserved. Clare's ability to figure out a puzzle is exciting. Love it. This steampunk story is recommended for those who love conspiracies and mysteries.
     

   

      The Iron Wyrm Affair (Bannon & Clare, #1)
   

 

 
 
View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts