Review: Burn for Me

Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I eagerly awaited this new series.  There have been hints of more romance.  Maybe even sex.  Yes... SEX!  Well, there was a little sex.  It was glossed over which was okay for me.  I don't read Ilona Andrews for sex.  I read them for a heroine who is doing her best to survive.  She is the one the entire family depends upon.  Authors Ilona Andrews does not disappoint.  This new series is going to be one I will love and read over and over again.  I've read it at least six times within the first 3 days after I downloaded onto my kindle on the release day.  Considering I was stuck in Brazil on a business trip, I'd say this is dedication.

Our new "Kate" is Nevada Baylor.  She has a power which no one is privy to except her immediate family, and for good reason.  Our new "Curran" is Mad Rogan.  Oh boy, I love Rogan.  He's powerful, dominating and well prepared. 

Nevada is put in a position which is a lose-lose.  There is no way she is to survive this case assigned to her.  If she refuses it, she will lose her home and her entire family will become homeless.  If she accepts it, she will most likely die.  An underdog to root for!  YAY!  I'm not going to provide spoilers but I will provide my favourite quotes.  The humour in this story is right up my alley - quirky and irreverent.  Nevada doesn't respect authority much and it shows.  When she goes up against Mad Rogan who is used to people yelling "How high", it's a firestorm.  I love it.

There is a villainous character - Adam.  While it's been posed if he is redeemable.  My answer is no.  Leave him in a hell hole or kill him.  Adam is a rich boy who believes he can have anything and if he wants to fuck a woman, he can.  Nevada puts him in his place.

“If you’re really hard up, I can introduce you to my grandmother. She’s a fan.”

Adam blinked.

“She doesn’t typically sleep with pretty young things, but she would make an exception in your case. You might even learn a trick or two.”

He finally regained his ability to speak. “Your grandmother?” (loc. 1583-1587)


Oh no they didn't!  Yes, they did!  Ilona Andrews gave a nod to GILF.  Wowza.

Then they go on to show how crazy Nevada can be.

“Mom?” Mother [Nevada's mother] turned to Grandmother.

“What?”

“She’s going to lunch with her kidnapper!”

“Take a picture for me,” Grandma said.

“This family will put me into an early grave,” my mother growled.

“I’m coming with you. Mother, lock the doors and set the alarm. We’ll take the van and the Barrett.”(loc. 1844-1848)


Why do I love Mad Rogan?

“Maybe you should make me a list of people I can kill and ways in which they’re allowed to die,” he said.

“You are not funny.”

“I’m very funny. Just ask Peaches.” (loc. 2556-2558)


I laughed out loud at that dialog.  I feel like Mad Rogan.  People just don't get my humour.  Why do I love Mad Rogan?  Because he gets straight to the point.  And he's a sociopath which is something I'm inexplicably attracted to - male or female.

He [Mad Rogan] nodded. “Okay. We got it out in the open. Here it is. This is your moment to be angry at your own laziness and wallow in self-pity. A moment is all you get, because any minute [redacted] might set Houston on fire. Take a few minutes for your pity party. Would five be enough?” (loc. 4953-4955)

Why can't I say this at work?  Oh right, I'm not a super star like Mad Rogan.  I wish I could say this though.  "Would five be enough?"  And yet it continues!  This is the kind of conversations I'd like to have with some of the people reporting to me.

“You’re an asshole.” [Nevada]

“Yes, but I’m a very well-trained asshole. I’m offering you the use of my expertise. So suck it up, get over this bump, and let’s go. Are you with me?” [Mad Rogan](loc. 4956-4958)




Finally, I must note, this book is a romance one because only in a romance would we have a hero who - "tasted like the glory of heaven and the sin of hell rolled into one." (loc. 5395-5396)

The world building in this book is just starting.  There is more character building with how Mad Rogan hires loyal people.  And how Nevada relates to the magical houses and her own family.  This is a must read book.  Buy it and read it.  I can't wait for the next book. Recommended for those who enjoy a downtrodden heroine who doesn't roll over when the alpha male commands it.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts