Review: Do Or Die


Do Or Die
Do Or Die by Suzanne Brockmann

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Ms. Brockmann is back with a great new romantic suspense series. I liked this book and it's a 3.5 star. The story starts out with Ian in jail. It's interesting when Ms. Brockmann makes the male lead an anti-hero. Ian comes across as a criminal, but he is so much more. There are plans within plans in this tale. I find that interesting and it kept my attention. I read this book in one sitting and when I finished it, I was happy.

Happy because the romantic element is realistic. Happy because the suspense kept me worrying about a positive outcome. I liked how the best laid plans went sideways. Watching how the characters needed to think on their feet and adjust their direction is fascinating. Many a times, the situation was definitely FUBAR. I couple of cluster fucks made me want to smack Phoebe over the head.

Phoebe as a character is amusing. She is like most civilians who don't think bad things will happen to her. She can't follow protocol to save her life. Her reckless behaviour puts many people in danger. She has the best of intentions. She's just out of her depth and a liability more often than not.

What I enjoy most about Ms. Brockmann's story is her research into the military protocols. She enhances her stories by showing how her former military men earned their special forces status. She doesn't just tell us the guy is a Navy SEAL. She shows how they plan and set up safe places. They behave in ways which civilians wouldn't think about or know where to start. The men aren't all knowing, but they sure do everything they can to make a plan work. I appreciate this because I also learn how to plan for a disaster. This kind of attention to detail impresses me and makes the book more enjoyable.

The characters Ms. Brockmann creates in this series are interesting. Most of them seem to be emotionally damaged. It's disturbing and sad. The reason why I find it sad is because it seems it's an accurate reflection of real life. I'm meeting more and more people who are like the ones in Ms. Brockmann's stories. I'm not sure if this is because people are more willing to share or if humanity is declining at a rapid rate. Ms. Brockmann's portrayal hits home and makes this story all that more relate-able.

This romantic suspense is recommended to those who enjoy the long con.

*provided by Edelweiss

View all my reviews
    


      Do Or Die
   

 

 
 
    

Comments

Popular Posts